Friday, April 10, 2009

Our First Year

Well the time has come and gone. Jackson is officially 1 year old now, yet it seems like only yesterday we were bringing him home from the hospital and I was freaking out about having to take care of a baby all by myself. We have had many good times, very few bad. I was talking with Brandon on Wed. about what we were doing 1 year ago, the day before Jackson was born. I remember not getting much sleep, mainly from anticipation but also from pre-labor pains. I remember the first time I saw Jack. Slimy green (I had a C-section for those of you who don't already know) and he had really big feet for how long and skinny he was. He was beautiful and I had tears streaming down my face because I couldn't believe he was actually here and he was mine. Sent from Heaven by God, trusting me to watch over one of his children.

Thinking back on this first year I can't believe how much we have been through in such little time. Then I think about the new baby and all I can do is pray that it will be as good and easy as Jackson (not that Jack is easy). Here are a few things that I really appreciate about Jack and the person he is becoming:

1. His sleep habits. Ever since he came home from the hospital he has been a great sleeper. Now he sleeps at least 12 hours every night with a 2-3 hour nap during the day.
2. His smile. He has the best smile. A little dimple in the corner of his mouth, wide open with all 10 of his teeth showing. Not to mention the funniest laughs.
3. His curiosity. He is always watching and pointing; looking around and observing everything and everyone that is around him.
4. His caution. Sometimes I am like, "Walk already". I know he can do it and he knows he can do it, but he is cautious which I think will be good in the future.
5. His love for everything around him and his generosity. I know you are probably thinking how is a 1 year old generous but he is always sharing and hugging stuffed animals and people. He is very sweet.
6. His facial expressions. The kid has so many faces that every picture I take is different. I love how animated he can be.
7. His carefree style. Children are the best about being innocent and not caring what other people think. Jackson will laugh, dance, and sing all at the same time and I love that he loves doing it.
8. Tickle time with dad. Jack knows when it is coming and Brandon doesn't even need to touch him to get hysterical laughter from the little guy.
9. His love of music. Doesn't matter if it is from his favorite cartoon, his Disney Mixes, or the kids singing in primary music draws him in and gives him focus.
10. The way he gives me kisses and hugs my legs. Open mouth kisses and tightly locked hugs from little arms are the best way to say good morning and good night.

I love everything about Jackson and I couldn't ask for a better son. Lets hope year 2 is as wonderful and enlightening as year 1.

We haven't actually celebrated his birthday yet because we wanted the whole family (that lives in AZ) to be there so we are doing a duel Easter/Birthday celebration. Birthday pictures and recap to come. *Also, thanks to Grandma Miller and Derek for the wonderful birthday gift. Jack loves the tractor.

4 comments:

The Griegers said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY JACKSON!

Adrianna and Mackenzie said...

Happy Birthday Jackson!!! Its been so nice to watch you grow up! =)

jor said...

Happy Birthday Jackson! That picture on the scooter is too cute! Have a great day and a happy easter.

Brianna said...

How fun! Happy Birthday. I miss him so much.