Friday, September 2, 2011

Potty Training for Mommies

Why don't they have potty training for mommies? Not that mommies don't know how to go potty on the toilet but I have to tell you I am loosing my mind with trying to potty train Jackson and could really use some encouragement to keep trying, and trying, and trying.

I feel like I have tried everything. He will be 3 years and 5 months old next week, I KNOW he is ready. He is just stubborn. He will go on the floor next to the potty before he chooses to go on the toilet. I have tried rewards even going so far as to offer to by him a big boy bike if he goes 10 times. We have a star chart next to the potty.
He just says...I don't want a bike.
So I ask what do you want.
Nothing.

Next I go negative.
" Fine if you don't want to go in the potty you have to wear diapers like a baby. And I will treat you like a baby. Take naps, have me feed you, etc."
HE LOVED IT. Plus the naps just made him stay up all night, hence more work for me.

When I feel like I am loosing it which is almost every day I shut the door behind me and take a time out so I don't yell at him. Because that is what I want to do. I am so frustrated. So he cries and says he loves me. Then I feel bad...but not too bad because soon he is peeing or pooping on the floor again or in his pants.

Just when I think I am making some headway and he pees in the toilet and we celebrate! Then he doesn't do it again for 3 days continuing to pee in his pants or on the floor.

So far he has gone in the toilet 3 times in the past year and a half since we started this whole process. Seriously, is it suppose to be this hard?

For the time being we are back to diapers and I am looking for plan F. (A few books have been recommended but I am hesitant to buy something to have it not work).

I am contemplating working with Elizabeth and hoping that Jack will catch on. But it is so hard to try again with another child when I have been so unsuccessful with the first.

I know I am complaining but I need to get it out. Here's to tomorrow and hoping it is a day of no accidents.
Jack after he successfully when in the lightening car potty. Please happen again soon!

No comments: