Friday, August 26, 2011

We Love the Beach



From Seattle we flew to California to meet up with Brandon and the rest of his family at Newport Beach. (For those of you counting this is week 3 of vacation). Brandon flew to AZ and drove over to California with his family to meet us there. They rented a house right off the beach. It was amazing. A short walk to the best sand and about 2 miles from the pier. I have never been to Newport and I have to say this is going to be a yearly trip if I can make it happen. We had the best time. I realized something as I was lying on the beach reading a book...the beach is the best place for a family with young kids. The kids don't go too far in the water but have plenty of things to do. They can dig in the sand, play in the waves, find shells, entertainment for hours. And I could actually relax. Trust me I needed it after the stressful trip to Washington.

Jackson loved it the most. He made new friends with kids on the beach every day and just had a blast running in the waves. We rented bikes for the week too. I have to admit I haven't gone on a bike ride in years. Both Jack and Liz loved the back seat on the bike and feeling the wind in their face. It was the most fun and relaxing vacation we have ever taken as a family. Just lots of family, sun, and fun.

Here are a few things we enjoyed while in Newport:

Knott's Berry Farm. Verdict...very inefficient staff but still fun. It was the first time either of them were brave enough to go on rides, and they loved it. They even went down the log ride. Liz rode with Grandma and Grandpa and when she got off she smiled and said, "Mom, I got wet, WOW." It was so cute. Jackson rode with Brandon and I and he looked terrified in the picture they took but said it was really fun after we got off.








We ate corn dogs on the beach. Jackson ate the whole thing. Fitting the entire corn dog around his mouth with every bite. Funniest thing I have ever seen.

We went for walks and bike rides on the beach and even got in a few morning beach runs. Nothing like exercising with the smell of the ocean.





Lots of boogie boarding. The waves were huge! A little scary but still super fun. And I wiped out a few times.

Made sand castles every day, just so Jack could knock them over.





We also had a chance to fly a kite. Jackson has been wanting to fly a kite for like a year. He was so serious holding the string.

Eating salt water taffy and Balboa bars on Balboa Island.




Enjoying fresh seafood, Mexican style at The Rockn' Baja.



Spending time with the whole family (minus Felipe who had to stay and work...we missed him).


No comments: